Frequently Asked Questions

  • introduction & entrance requirements

    1) What is a Broad Discipline?
    A Broad Discipline (BD) is a collection of programmes that allows flexibility for students choosing their own academic programme after completing a common first year. Students admitted to a Broad Discipline may flexibly choose among a collection of programmes after completing their first year. The Broad Discipline of Computing comprises several awards, namely the BSc (Hons) in Computing, the BSc (Hons) in Enterprise Information Systems, BSc (Hons) in Financial Technology and Artificial Intelligence and the BSc (Hons) in Information Technology. Students can choose any one of these major degrees that is most suitable for themselves. There is no quota on the number of students for any of the awards.

    2) What are the differences among the programmes in the Broad Discipline of Computing?
    The Computing programme can also be understood as "Computing + Science". It emphasizes on applying computing theories and programming methodologies to design and develop fast and smart computing systems and software.

    The Enterprise Information Systems programme can also be understood as "Computing + Business". It emphasizes on applying computing technologies and analysing enterprise data/ information to develop and manage business solutions.

    The Financial Technology and Artificial Intelligence programme can also be understood as "Computing + Finance". It emphasizes on applying computing technologies with a focus on artificial intelligence to develop, manage and transform finance systems and solutions.

    The Information Technology programme can also be understood as "Computing + Infrastructure". It emphasizes on integrating computing devices, systems and software to design and implement IT architectures for advanced applications.

    3) What are the general admission requirements?
    Students must satisfy the minimum University's General Entrance Requirements:

    - Level 3 - English Language, Chinese Language and two elective subjects (Extended Modules of Mathematics M1/M2 are also considered as electives); and
    - Level 2 - Mathematics and Liberal Studies. 

    The Broad Discipline of Computing will look at the "best" 5 HKDSE subjects for calculating the admission score for initial prioritization of applicants (i.e. P-Score). HKDSE level attainments will be converted to level points as follows:

    HKDSE Level Attainments Converted Level Points for
    Admission Score Calculation
    5** 7
    5* 6
    5 5
    4 4
    3 3
    2 2
    1 1
    Unclassified 0

    There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subjects for the programme include: 

    - English Language;
    - Mathematics;
    - Extended Modules of Mathematics (M1/M2);
    - Information and Communication Technology (ICT);
    - Physics/Biology/Chemistry (Single or Combined Science);
    - Business, Accounting and Financial Studies (BAFS); and
    - Economics.

    4) What is your average admission score and where can I find the average admission scores in recent years?
    Over the last several years, our average admission score has been around 21-22. In addition to the admission score, we also encourage applicants to consider their own personal interests, career prospects and internship opportunities when making a choice. The employment rate of our recent graduates was over 95% with attractive starting salaries. Our internship option allows students to gain up to 32 weeks of working experience while still graduating in 4 years. In summary, studying computing prepares you for a good career.

    The average admission scores of recent admission exercises could be found here.

    5) What is the intake quota?
    The intake quota of this programme for 2019/20 admission is 105-115. This includes both JUPAS and non-JUPAS admission and the split of quotas for JUPAS and non-JUPAS is not yet decided.

    6) Is there any interview? When is it? What does the interview do?
    Band A applicants will be invited to attend an interview, which will be held either in June or July. Students performing well in the interview will get a bonus which will be added to their admission score to move ahead in the JUPAS list. 

    7) Credit transfer for Discipline-Specific Requirements (DSR) subject?
    Entry Credit Transfer?
    The Department of Computing (COMP) will consider to grant entry credit transfer of Discipline-Specific Requirements (DSR) credits to GCE/HKALE students as follows:

    Exam - Subject

    Min. Grade


    HKALE – Computer Studies


    COMP1001 Problem Solving Methodology in Information Technology

    GCEAL - Computing


    GCEAL – Information and Communications Technology (Applied)


    General Guidelines for granting Credit Transfer of DSR subjects

     i.    Granting of credit transfer is mainly based on the subject contents and the learning outcomes attained. 

     ii.   In general, COMP only considers subjects with a minimum grade of B (or equivalent) for credit transfers.


  • career prospects

    1) What can I do after I graduate? How much do I make?
    A computing degree opens the door to a wide range of careers in IT companies and in those involving the use of computers and systems in industry, commerce, government service, health care service and universities. Our graduates are enthusiastically sought after by employers and have successful careers. 

    Our graduates have no problems finding jobs and the employment rate is over 95%. The average starting salary of our recent graduates was around $17,000, which is higher than many other programmes in PolyU.

    2) What are the careers that graduates usually look for?
    Our graduates are employed in a wide range of careers, including system analysts, project managers, software architects, business analysts, management executives, game developers, IT security analysts, etc. Many work in big companies like Microsoft, Google, HP, Société Générale, Cathay Pacific Airways, etc. Many others have careers in the government and public sector like Hospital Authority, OGCIO, Hong Kong Jockey Club, etc. Some others start their own companies (e.g., FinTech startup) or go to graduate schools.

  • flexible curriculum

    1) After being admitted to the Broad Discipline of Computing programme, when should I decide which major to choose?
    Normally, you should declare your major degree at the end of the first (common) year of your studies. If necessary, you can defer your decision until the end of first semester of your second year, after getting a taste of subjects under different programmes.

    2) How many credits do I need to obtain to have a major?
    120 credits are required. For the BD of Computing, all awards require only 78 credits of Discipline Specific Requirement (DSR). The addition of 30 credits of General University Requirement (GUR) will amount to only 108 credits. Students may take subjects adding up to 12 credits offered by any department in the university, inclusive of subjects offered by Computing, as well as additional language subjects. It would be wise to plan your studies in such a way as to end up also getting a minor (requiring 18 credits) by making use of those 12 credits and shared minor subjects in Cluster Area Requirements (CAR) under GUR.

    3) What is a minor?
    A minor programme is an additional course of study that is taken either to complement your major discipline of study, or out of interest. At PolyU, the requirements for a minor are 18 credits (usually six subjects). Two of those subjects may be CAR subjects under GUR.

    4) When can I enroll to take up a minor and what are the requirements?
    You can apply for a minor in the first semester of your second study year. Your major GPA must be at least 2.5. The requirements vary from department to department and you should check with the hosting department for details.

    5) I want to take up a minor offered by another department. Where can I get more information?
    The hosting department (i.e. the department that offers the minor programme) is where you would get the details.

  • work-integrated education (wie)

    1) What is Work Integrated Education (WIE)?
    Work-Integrated Education (WIE) is "work-based learning experiences (e.g., internship) which take place in an organizational context relevant to a student's future profession, or the development of generic skills that will be valuable in that profession". All full-time undergraduate students of COMP are required to complete a mandatory WIE component (at least 312 working hours) as part of their curriculum. Our students have gained valuable working experiences at international companies as well as government and related organizations, e.g. Microsoft, Disneyland, IBM, HSBC, BNP Paribas, Hong Kong Monetary Authority, Hong Kong Observatory and Hospital Authority.

    2) Is WIE graded?
    WIE is graded either as pass or fail. The WIE component will NOT be counted in the calculation of the GPA.

    3) What is the Internship option?
    To fulfill the WIE requirement, our 4-year curriculum provides an internship option. Students can gain up to 32 weeks of full-time working experience (Semester 2 of Year 3 plus summer) while still graduating in 4 years. Students should also take evening classes during the internship. This internship option can greatly enhance your employability.

    4) Is there an opportunity for me to complete my WIE overseas?
    Yes, a lot of students do their WIE overseas. In the last several years, we have had students do their WIE in Canada, Denmark, France, Singapore, Switzerland etc.

  • scholarship

    1) Is there any entrance scholarship?
    There are a lot of scholarships available for students. Students with outstanding academic records may be awarded attractive scholarship on admission. There will be more detailed information for you upon admission.

    2) Is there any other scholarship?
    We have a Global Computing Programme with scholarships that are intended to support students to join international learning activities. Students are supported on the basis of academic performance, financial need, extra-curricular activities and contribution to the department, university and community.

  • facilities

    1) Where can I find computing facilities?
    We have a wide range of computing facilities available in the departmental Computing Laboratories (located at 6/F of PQ Wing and 5/F of P Wing).

    2) Are there any labs for teaching and learning?
    Yes, we also have specialized labs. For example, we have a lab for teaching virtual reality.

  • academic advising at department of computing

    1) Why do I need advising?
    With the new academic structure, students are given the utmost flexibility to choose a subject mix and study awards that best matches their interests. We have academic advisors to help you plan your academic path so that you can make the most of your time and experience at PolyU.

    2) Who is my academic adviser?
    All full-time Bachelor’s degree students pursuing a 4-year or new curriculum will be assigned to one full-time academic staff who will act as his/her academic advisor throughout his/her course of study.

    3) How do I make an appointment to meet my advisor? Should I approach the General Office?
    You should always make an appointment with your advisor. You can either email or call him/her. If you have trouble contacting your advisor, feel free to send an email to