The main responsibilities of AA include:
- Building rapport with the students, serving as bridge that connects them to the department
- Being accessible and available to students, and responding to their questions and concerns
- Helping students to consider and clarify their intellectual, professional and personal goals
- Helping students to develop an appropriate study plan (particularly with regard to their Major), and assisting in their selection of appropriate courses to achieve their identified goals
- Clarifying to students academic regulations and requirements, particularly those relating to the Major
- Identifying students with special learning needs or early signs of learning problems, and referring/encouraging them to seek help or support.