|Double Degree in Computing and Management|
Business and career success in this era of information technology requires not only computing/IT skills but also management knowledge to solve problems in an international centre like Hong Kong. The unique BSc(Hons) in Computing and BBA(Hons) in Management double-degree programme is aimed at producing graduates who can meet the current and future computing and management needs in this knowledge-oriented society. BSc (Hons) in Computing is aimed at producing graduates with good fundamental computing concepts, sound intellectual and practical skills, and ability to creatively apply computing and related technologies to different information processing areas such as business, industry and public sectors. The main aim of the BBA (Hons) in Management programme includes the provision of students with a well-rounded business education and training in general management, along with an opportunity to specialise in human resource management. Students are equipped with a wide range of management skills to be given the potential to develop as business leaders in Hong Kong and China. As students belong to both programmes, they are expected to be able to integrate the knowledge that they acquire on both sides and apply to solve more interesting and complicated problems, with even better global outlook ability. In summary, the double degree programme aims to provide students with skills and knowledge in three areas:
- Computing/IT: Students will learn contemporary computing and IT skills and how they can be applied to solve useful problems and to build interesting real-life applications.
- Management: Students will acquire business skills, and a thorough grounding in management theory and practice, supported by sound financial knowledge. The development of entrepreneurial awareness will be a particular feature, particularly in the later stages of the programme.
- Integration of computing and management skills and knowledge: Students will gain expertise in the application of computing skills in the solution of business and management problems, learn to package and market all the technical know-how in terms of management needs, strategic and business planning, and entrepreneurship. They will develop and strengthen their problem solving skills through group projects, case studies and an integrated final year project.
- Students with backgrounds in Arts, Science or Business can apply;
- The subjects are application-oriented and practical, both in content and teaching methodology;
- A broad set of electives in both computing and management is offered.
- Students from Computing can work for one year in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas in countries such as the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, France, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Spain and Japan. A high percentage of our students were placed in the past few years with good salaries;
- The Department provides articulation to students for admission into the Master's programmes it offers. They can receive the Master's Degree with one extra year of study; and
- Many departmental scholarships are available, including the Entrance Scholarship for students.
Graduates can take up technical positions such as system analysts, system developers, software engineers and system administrators, and less technical positions including those of technical sales and sales engineers, project managers, web administrators and customer relations managers. Our graduates find employment opportunities in sectors such as the government, software houses, e-commerce, banking, finance, public facilities and freight forwarding.
Below is the programme structure of the Double Degree:
For details of the programme and admission, please visit http://www.polyu.edu.hk/study.
Who should I approach for further details?
Contact Ms. Jennifer Ngai, Departmental Teaching and Learning Committee Secretary
Telephone: (852) 2766-7302
Facsimile: (852) 2774-0842