|MSc/PgD in Software Technology|
Who should pursue an MSc degree in Software Technology?
This programme is intended for Computer Science students, who are normally expected to have an Honours degree in Computing, Computer Science, or equivalent.
What is MSc in Software Technology about?
Designed for professionals with background in Computer Science, our MSc in Software Technology programme provides in-depth and the most up-to-date knowledge of all important aspects of software technologies (ST). The curriculum covers specialized and practical areas in ST, such as software performance testing, outsourcing of IT projects, and the software development process. You will learn how to manage software engineering projects and apply ST to solve real-life business and industrial problems.
This degree has a special double degree arrangement with the Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Science (GUCAS). What is it about?
Please visit MSc/PgD in Software Technology (Double Degree with GUCAS)
What modes of teaching are available?
Students may choose between the regular classroom teaching mode and the CyberU on-line learning mode.
Regular mode students not able to attend classes for an extended period can apply to study subjects available in CyberU mode and be subject to the credit fee for CyberU subjects. However, students are normally expected not to obtain more than 30% of their credit requirement (assessed at the time of admission) for the award of study in CyberU mode.
What is the structure of the Programme?
*Students shall select electives up to 6 credits or 25% (whichever the less) of the total credit requirement from other departments for completion.
How much do they cost?
Regular Mode - HK$2,950 per credit (HK$3,670 per credit for non-local students from 2013-14 onwards)
For the general requirement, what are the core subjects?
- COMP5138 Services Science Management
- COMP5151 Advanced Database Systems
- COMP5212 Software Design and Architecture
- COMP5224 Software Requirement Analysis and Specification
- COMP5225 Software Evolution and Maintenance
- COMP5226 Software Infrastructure and Configuration Management
- COMP5252 Extreme Programming and Agile Software Development
- COMP5311 Internet Infrastructure and Protocols
- COMP5322 Internet Computing and Applications
- COMP5323 Web Database Technologies and Applications
- COMP5332 Web Services and Project Development
- COMP5351 Internetworking Infrastructure and Security
- COMP5527 Mobile Computing and Data Management
- COMP5221 Software Project Management
- COMP5222 Software Testing and Quality Assurance
- COMP5228 Embedded Software Engineering
- COMP5231 Project Practice and Case Studies
- COMP5232 IT Outsourcing and Auditing
- COMP5251 Software Engineering Process for High Quality Software
- COMP5325 Distributed Computing
- COMP5412 Fundamentals of Chinese Computing
- COMP5422 Multimedia Computing Systems and Applications
- COMP5514 Computer Image Generation and Applications
- COMP5517 Human Computer Interaction
- COMP5551 Selected Topics in Artificial Intelligence and its Applications
- COMP5553 Advanced Computer Graphics
What are the elective subjects?
Students are allowed to take any Master level subjects offered by the Department of Computing to satisfy their elective requirements, subject to the pre-requisite and exclusion requirements:
- COMP5111 Database Systems and Management
- COMP5121 Data Mining and Data Warehousing Applications
- COMP5122 E-Commerce Fundamentals and Development
- COMP5123 Intelligent Information Systems
- COMP5131 Introduction to Information Systems
- COMP5132 Information Systems Acquisition and Integration
- COMP5133 Information Systems and E-Commerce Strategy
- COMP5134 IS Development with OO Methods
- COMP5135 Information Systems Audit and Control
- COMP5136 B2B & B2C E-Commerce and Management
- COMP5211 Software Engineering Concepts
- COMP5223 Middleware and Distributed Objects
- COMP5324 Internet Information Retrieval
- COMP5326 Wireless Computing Systems and Applications
- COMP5331 Web Advertising and Web Publishing
- COMP5411 Fundamentals of Operating Systems
- COMP5414 Computer Architecture
- COMP5511 Artificial Intelligence Concepts
- COMP5512 Information Technology and Logistics
- COMP5513 Financial Computing
- COMP5515 Image and Video Computing
- COMP5522 Biometric Authentication: System and Application
- COMP5524 Workflow Management and Collaborative Systems
- COMP5525 Information Security: Technologies and Systems
- COMP5531 IT Entrepreneurship and Legal Aspects at IT
- COMP5538 Customer Relationship Management and Technology
- COMP5552 Computer Ethics
- COMP5923 Independent Study
- COMP5933 Project (6 credits)
- COMP5940 Dissertation (9 credits)
- MM534 Entrepreneurship
- AF5506 Legal Aspects of Electronic Commerce
Elective Subjects offered by other Departments
- AF5133 Accounting for Strategic Management
- AF5310 Financial Integration between the Chinese Mainland and HK
- LGT5152 Information Systems for Supply Chain Management
- SD5133 Strategies for Sustainable Product-Service Systems
- ISE503 Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems
- ISE525 Global Operations and Logistics Management
- ISE548 Risk and Crisis Management
- HTM502 Hotel and Tourism Information Management
- AMA532 Investment Science
- EIE509 Satellite Communications - Technology and Applications
- EIE531 Mobile Radio Communications
- EIE552 Internet Technologies for Multimedia Applications
- ME573 Project on Product Design and Management
- ITC545 Fashion Technology
- ITC558 E-Commerce for Fashion Industry
- ABCT415 Bioinformatics
- CBS517 Computer Tools for Language Professionals
- HSS6006 Information Technology in Healthcare
- SD5902 Production Processes in Multimedia and Entertainment
- SD5906 Globalization in New Media Design and Technology
All subjects are offered at the discretion of subjects offering departments, depending on students’ demand and resources available.
Please also visit http://www.polyu.edu.hk/study for other details of the programme and admission.
Who should I approach for further details?
Contact Ms. Jennifer Ngai, Departmental Teaching and Learning Committee Secretary
Telephone: (852) 2766-7302
Facsimile: (852) 2774-0842